Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Working through the less than intuitive iPad deployment process...



We just got a cart with 20 iPads (woo hoo!). The cart is great in that it charges all the ipads and allows us to connect to all of them via USB. So, I understand (and feel free to correct any gaps in my understanding) that we can deploy apps to all of the devices using the iPhone Configuration Utility on a PC or Mac connected to our cart. We can purchase apps using the Apple Volume Purchasing Program. Once purchased, we should receive a spreadsheet with all the codes. This is where I get a little vague. From my research, it seems as though we can either deploy the apps to all of the ipads from the iPhone configuration tool OR have each iPad click on a link created from the volume purchase in order to install it on each iPad. I far prefer the idea of sending it through the config tool. I have heard that it can work and essentially, you are installing the app with the same code to all devices, but since you have purchased a license for each device, you have that info on the spreadsheet for verification purposes.









  1. A few questions...
    Do I use the iPhone configuration tool independently of iTunes, or do I use iTunes as well?




  2. Can I update all of the devices to iOS5 from the config tool or in some manner without updating each one individually?




  3. Should I name each iPad through the iPad itself or through the configuration tool?




  4. Is there a way to change the network settings through the configuration tool (in other words, I have a very long WEP key to enter in each one. Do I have to do it manually to first get each one on the network?




That's the bulk of my questions for the moment. I will post this and other reflections on the process in my blog (http://wamstechtips.blogspot.com/). Thanks in advance for any support.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

admin nice site and nice technology you share and IT Related info here
Check this it-technology-tips great tech you.